Why We Collect Your Information
Our primary purpose in collecting information is to provide you with a safe, smooth, efficient, and customized experience. You agree that we may use your information to:
- provide the services and customer support you request;
- customize, measure and improve our services, content and advertising;
- and compare information for accuracy, and verify it with third parties;
We use "cookies" (small files placed on your hard drive) on certain of our pages to help analyze our web page flow; customize our services, content and advertising; measure promotional effectiveness, and promote trust and safety.
A few important things you should know about cookies are that:
- Most cookies are "session cookies," meaning that they are automatically deleted from your hard drive at the end of a session.
- You are always free to decline our cookies if your browser permits, although doing so may interfere with your use of some of our sites or services.
- You may encounter cookies from third parties on certain pages of the sites that we do not control. (For example, if you view a web page created by another user, there may be a cookie placed by that web page.)
Information We Collect
You can browse our sites without telling us who you are or revealing any information about yourself. Once you give us your information, you are not anonymous to us. If you choose to provide us with personal or business information, you consent to the transfer and storage of that information on our servers.
We may collect and store the following personal or business information:
- email address, phone number, physical contact information, and (depending on the service used) sometimes financial information, such as credit card or bank account numbers;
- transactional information based on your activities on the sites;
- shipping, billing and other information you provide to purchase or ship an item;
- forum discussions, chats, correspondence through our sites, and correspondence sent to us;
- other information from your interaction with our sites, services, content and advertising, including device ID, computer and connection information, statistics on page views, traffic to and from the sites, ad data, IP address and standard web log information;
- additional information we ask you to submit to authenticate yourself or if we believe you are violating site policies (for example, we may ask you to send us an ID or bill to verify your address);
- information from other companies, such as demographic and navigation data; and
- other supplemental information from third parties.
Registration and sharing through third-party services.
We may offer single sign-on services that allow you to use third party login credentials to sign into College Kids. With your permission, College Kids may also transfer to College Kids profile information contained in your third-party profile. College Kids may also, for your use, enable you to import information about who you are connected to, as well as enable you to share information with those third-party sites. If you wish to discontinue such sharing, you will be able to do so through your preference page.
We don’t sell or rent your information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent. We may combine your information with information we collect from other companies and use it to improve and personalize our services and content. If you don’t wish to receive marketing communications from us simply indicate your preference on CollegeKids.com My Account or by following the directions provided with the communication.
Accessing, Reviewing and Changing Your Personal Information
No Spam, Spyware or Spoofing
How We Protect Your Information
Your information is stored on our server. We treat data as an asset that must be protected and use commercially reasonable efforts to protect your personal information against unauthorized access and disclosure. However, as you probably know, third parties may unlawfully intercept or access transmissions or private communications, and other users may abuse or misuse your personal information that they collect from the site. Therefore, although we work very hard to protect your privacy, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information or private communications will always remain private.
Our Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose personal or business information to respond to legal requirements, enforce our policies, respond to claims that a listing or other content violates the rights of others, or protect anyone’s rights, property, or safety. Such information will be disclosed in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
We may also share your personal or business information with:
- Service providers under contract who help with our business operations (such as fraud investigations, bill collection).
- Other third parties to whom you explicitly ask us to send your information (or about whom you are otherwise explicitly notified and consent to when using a specific service).
- Law enforcement, governmental agencies, or authorized third-parties, in response to a verified request relating to a criminal investigation or alleged illegal activity or any other activity that may expose us, you, or any other College Kids user to legal liability. In such events, we will disclose information relevant to the investigation, such as name, city, state, ZIP code, telephone number, email address, User ID history, IP address, fraud complaints, bidding and listing history, and anything else we may deem relevant to the investigation.
Without limiting the above, in an effort to respect your privacy and our ability to keep the community free from bad actors, we will not otherwise disclose your information to law enforcement, other government officials, or other third parties without a subpoena, court order or substantially similar legal procedure, except when we believe in good faith that the disclosure of information is necessary to prevent imminent physical harm or financial loss or to report suspected illegal activity.
How You Can Protecting Your Information
Information You Share on CollegeKids.com
If you access our sites from a shared computer or a computer in an internet café, certain information about you, such as your User ID, activity or reminders from College Kids, might also be visible to other individuals who use the computer after you. Please remember to take precautions to secure your information on public machines (for example logout and clear the browsers cache after). College Kids is not responsible for any personal information shared on a public machine.
Your password is the key to your account. Use unique numbers, letters and special characters, and do not disclose your College Kids password to anyone. If you do share your password or your personal information with others, remember that you are responsible for all actions taken in the name of your account. If you lose control of your password, you may lose substantial control over your personal information and may be subject to legally binding actions taken on your behalf. Therefore, if your password has been compromised for any reason, you should immediately notify College Kids and change your password.